The City of Crown Point and The Old Homestead Preservation Society are committed to the preservation and maintenance of the home as a unique place of historic interest. On April 18, 2001, the Wellington A. Clark House was entered in the Indiana Register of Historic Sites and Structures and on June 8, 2001 was entered in the National Register of Historic Places.
A majority of the restoration has focused as close as possible to the era of 1875, though the home has electricity with fixtures replicated from 1891 when electricity first came to Crown Point. Indoor plumbing remains only in the galley kitchen with fixtures dated as early as was practical for use of the facility. Potbelly stoves gave way to a gas furnace which remains. Duct work is concealed or non-intrusive and supply/return vents are covered with antique replica grilles. Potbelly stoves may be added to simulate the era, but will be nonfunctional. Restoration was initiated by the stabilization of the foundation. The foundation walls and piers had deteriorated significantly causing the house to sag. Stabilization was accomplished by lifting the house and building a new concrete and block foundation. Three walls of the original basement were saved as they were under the house and protected. Original bricks from the foundation were salvaged, cleaned, and reinstalled on a brick ledge around the home. None of the new foundation materials are visible. During the foundation repair, the enclosed porch on the south side of the house was removed as it was built sometime in the 1940's, did not add to the appearance of the home, and was not well constructed. In addition, the fireplace was removed as it was not appropriate to the early history of the house. Likewise, on the west side of the home a modern framed porch and stairs were removed and will be replaced with an appropriate stair and stoop. A new stair and stoop will also be added to the south and east sides of the home that are indicative of the era to which the house is being restored.
The asphalt shingle roof was replaced with sawn cedar shingles to restore the original appearance. The double-hung windows are original and have an unusual nine over six light pattern. Only a few of the wood shutters are original with hardware still attached. Original shutters and windows have been restored. The remainder of the shutters have been replicated from the original design with the same type of wood. Nearly the entire interior is original. The flooring is wide-plank softwood and the walls and ceilings are plaster over wood lathes. Flooring that is missing will be replaced with the same width and type of wood. All wood flooring has been cleaned and a stained varnish applied. The majority of the plaster on the walls and ceilings was damaged due to roof leaks. All plaster on the walls and ceilings was removed. The wood lath was cleaned, repaired and/or replaced and coated with a sealer. All walls and ceilings received new plaster utilizing a three-coat process. Walls and ceilings were primed and painted with colors of the era.
The interior painted wood trim is very simple and in the original state, except for the door casings and trim. The casings and trim were replaced with the same type of wood designed to match the original. All trim paint was scraped, sanded and repainted. Modern outside doors were replaced with doors of the era of the late 1800's.
History is the witness that testifies to the passing of time; it illuminates reality, vitalizes memory, provides guidance in daily life and brings us tidings of antiquity.
Marcus Tullius Cicero
106 - 43 B.C.
Old Homestead Preservation Society, Inc
Old Homestead Preservation Society, Inc 227 S Court St Crown Point, IN 46307 US
Copyright © 2019 Old Homestead Preservation Society, Inc - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by AG